Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A Murmer....

Hi guys! Back from Seth's 2 year check-up.

You know... they really should let you know when you are going to have to wait for a long time. Seth's appointmentt was at 9:15. We didn't get called in until 10:15, and didn't see the Doc until 10:30! My Word! Thats really just inappropriate, you know? Its not like I was at the end of the day or anything. Just very annoying.

Seth's Stats~

wt: 28.2 lbs (50%)
ht: 35 in (70%)

He got his Hepatitis A shot and his Flu shot. The Doctor came in and was doing all the normal check-up stuff. He said his lip looks great and will be fantastic when all finished healing. The doc then laughed and let me know that Seth's eyes are the perfect mix of brown and hazel, apparently that's rare? Anyways!

I noticed that the Doctor was spending alot of time with the stethescope listening to Seth's chest. It was starting to make me nervous.

Turns out that Seth has a heart murmer. Apparently it is so slight, that they just hadn't heard it till today. The Doctor says it is nothing to worry about, it is the kind that comes and goes. He says that MOST people have a murmer, you just have to listen long enough. He said that we just need to be aware in case we ever rush him to the Hospital with a fever, so that they don't think his heart has an infection.

Do any of your children have a murmer? I'm not terribly worried, but I'm not having a picnic over this either.

Doc commented on his character, and how he was full of life! I LOL and told him that was because he had just finished his tantrum out in the waiting room.

****************

To answer a quick question from yesterday, the camera I used for last year's Christmas card was a 3 mp automatic digital camera. It was right before I got my Nikon D70s dSLR. So anyone can get that shot! I did make sure the flash was turned off. Hope that helps!

****************

This week's new Recipe Thread is up! It's Breads and Rolls this time! Come and share your favorites! YUMM!

14 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi Andrea,
I have been lurking for sometime now and thought today would be appropriate to comment.

My son has a heart murmer. We haven't had it checked as of late, but my doctor told me when we found it last year that it wasn't anything to panic about. I have another appointment for him soon and I will keep you posted on what he says.

My soon to be husband had a murmer when he was born and grew out of it. Hopefully our sons do the same! I am with you on the "not panicing, but not having a picnic either" part. I guess only time will tell.

Lisa said...

Just digi blog hopping and I had to comment on the murmur...

I'm 35 (yikes!) and have had a murmur all my life. My father does, too. It doesn't affect our lives except that we need to take antibiotics before going to the dentist. It's extremely common and more often than not, it's completely harmless.

FWIW, our cat, who is very healthy, has a murmur, too! It's very trendy in our household!

Best wishes!

Stephanie said...

"So anyone can get that shot!" Hmmm...I wonder if I should try it with Sheba (our St. Bernard) this year. ;) LOL!!!

So, I'm going to solicit decorating advice from you today. I recall the pics of your beautiful bedroom and I sooo need tips! :)

Jill said...

Hi Andrea! I think you will find murmurs are fairly common. Both my bro and I had one as children. I grew out of it and he still has his. Just as Lisa said, he takes antibiotics before the dentist. I also had one in my first pregnancy but not my second nor this one. They can be diagnosed as a "functional murmur". My youngest daughter has a murmur. It has a special name b/c you can only hear it when she is lying down. Dr. told us the same thing if we ever take her into the emergency room.

Joy said...

Andrea, My son is 31 and he had a heart murmer.. and he is doing wonderful. They did need keep an eye on them.. but most grow out of them.

Your picture is sooo awesome.. I love it.. I just wish I had a subject.. hubby would look pretty silly sitting there.. hehe

Joy

Julie Jewels said...

Hey Andrea! So glad to hear Seth is doing so well!!
The heart murmur is definitely nothing to worry about! ((Hugs)) for even having to think twice though!

~ashleigh said...

I have a slight murmur, too. I am supposed to take antibiotics before I go to the dentist, but other than that, I have not had any issues with it. So, there's no need to worry :o)

Also, thanks so much for the info about your photo, I love it! I don't know if I am going to attempt it, but if I do, I will surely share!

Anonymous said...

Andrea...

Remember me? LOL!

My dd Isabella has a heart murmur. It was really scary to hear that your baby has a murmur. Our ped found it when she was still a baby like 6 months old. It's an innocent murmur. But she still recommended that we see a Pediatric Cardiologist just to make sure. I'm glad that we did because it really set my mind at ease. Our cardiologist even wrote us a little note a week after our visit saying that our daughter was perfectly healthy, murmur and all! So don't worry too much.

Also, Ben my oldest cut his lip preally badly when he was 15 months old. Needed 20+ stitches =( I was so worried, like you, about his face. But now I don't even notice his scar, it's a part of him =) Gives him character, lol! Plus the chicks will dig it when he's older...haha.

Take care of yourself!

Unknown said...

Hi Andrea! I have had a heart murmur all my life too. I know I would be nervous if I heard that one of my children had one, so I just want to assure you that it is pretty common! I will not be surprised if I find out my daughter has one - it seems to run in my family, although all of my relatives with murmurs (including my 101-year old great-grandmother) are still living. {{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Our pedi. detected a slight heart murmur at my son's 2 yr check up as well. He was seen by an amazing pedi. cardiologist and had an echo. She said that his heart makes an extra 'noise' but that his heart is perfect. Wondering if Seth should also have an echo...? I'm not pedi. but I have worked in the pediatric and neonatal medical field for 10 years. I always say it is better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully...Seth's heart is perfect as well. I will say a prayer!

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrea! My daughter was born with a heart murm (a pinhole between her left and right ventricles). They scared us in the beginning with all that could be! She had to see the pediatric cardiologist when she was just a couple of days old and went back several times over the first year of her life. All that to say, that it closed on its own and she's now totally fine :).

Shalini said...

Seth is so cute! I don't know anything about murmurs, but wanted to say that your son's 2 year old stat is exactly what my son got! 28lb weight and 35 and a quarter height. Heee.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much I just got a nikon and have no idea what settings to us as far as aperture, shutter speed and iso for a nice outside picture!!!

Kimberly said...

Our ped found a heart murmer on my daughter at her 1 year check-up.
It was VERY light, he said he almost hesitated to mention it, but wanted to in case we ever took her to the emergency too.

He hasn't heard it at all in her last two check-ups. She's 4.5 now.