Monday, October 16, 2006

How-To's and Application....

Thanks so much for the compliments on last year's card! You know... I just realized I never scrapped that picture.... hmmm....

Some of you had How-To questions about my Christmas card... very easy!

I shot it in the daytime against a black sheet (I'm buying black fleece this year) near a window with sunlight. Then I touched it up a bit in PS. I burned the black darker, added a slight glow to the whole picture. Then I took a starbrush and brushed it over a few of the lights (which were on) to make them look like they are twinkling.

Here is the brush~

Starbrush

There you go! It wasn't that hard. Some people just try to do this at night.. but then you don't get crisp pics of the kid. Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

****************

My weekend was pretty good! I generally like this retreat. It was a bit harder this fall because I forgot a book and had some boring down time, but other than that it was great. The speaker and the praise music were fantastic, and I think our kids took alot away from them. As a group we had a good time, I had daily Starbucks, and we hit the mall Sat. afternoon. I stopped at Gymboree to get that burgandy vest featured on their website, but they didn't have it in Seth's size. I looked around Baby Gap, and ended up finding a red vest for $10 cheaper, and it'll do the job just fine (for Christmas pictures).

Some middle schooler girl totally walked in on me while I was in one of the showers. I am already a modest girl, but I probably scarred her for life the way my belly poked out and such... LOL!

Other than that, and the lack of sleep, everything was a good time! The speaker kept stressing the point that as middle schoolers, you are always saying "when I grow up...." and how that even applies to their faith. Even adults say "when you grow up you can make a difference..." But this speaker was stressing the truth that even today, even right now they can make a difference NOW. They shouldn't wait, they don't have to wait. I thought it was great to hear, and hopefully many will apply the message.

STARBUCKS: I had 3 drinks. The first night I had their Caramel Apple Cider. Yummm! Very tasty and delish. The next day I tried their Maple Macchiato for the first time. I didn't care for it so much. It was just.... "'eh." Sunday I went back to one of my faves.... the Pumpkin SPice Latte. GREAT stuff! It just isn't the Fall season without one of those.

Nate took these 3 days off to go help his dad to work to their house. They have been in this remodel stage for 3 years and can't seem to finish and every once in a while Nate will go to help my Father-in-law. Nate will be back Wed afternoon, which is also his 30th Bday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm going to try to shoot something similar with the boys this year. We typically have a family shot as our Christmas card, so we'll see how this turns out!
Pumpkin Spice is my fave!! Yum!! Fall is not complete without a few of them!!

Melissa said...

Thanks for the photo tips. The card is beautiful!

I'm been wanting to try Pumpkin Spice - may have to tomorrow morning. Peppermint mocha is my all-time favorite.

Anonymous said...

What settings do you use with your camera??