Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Amish....

Can I just say for a minute how heartbroken I am over the Amish Schoolhouse shootings? What a tradgedy! Just to quickly clarify, the shootings happened in Eastern PA, in Lancaster County, and I live clear on the other side of the state near Lake Erie. But I do live in a county with a large Amish community. I see them daily driving their buggies, shopping at Wal-Mart, waiting for a bus, doing yard or house work, or manning a fruit stand. There is a one room Amish Schoolhouse not 5 miles from my own.

They are a very private people, they keep to themselves or to trusted friends. They are a very religious group, deeply rooted in their faith and their families. It is a very sad day when a cowardly mad man decides to act his rage against 12 little girls. Girls! Small darling girls in braids and dresses! I just pray that their families can feel peace and love soon from this tradgedy. I've already heard on the news that some of the victim's family members have approached this lunatic's family and told them that they can grieve and mourn together.

Because that is the kind of people the Amish are. Forgiving and gentle.

****************
Yesterday's trip to the pumpkin patch resulted in the picture and the new header above. Isn't Seth just the cutest?



The DigiChick & Sweet Shoppe Designs have joined together to create "A Common Bond", a collaborative effort to raise money for the American Cancer Society and the Susan G. Komen Foundation. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and we all feel very blessed and proud to have designed this gorgeous kit with people we call friends. 100% of the proceeds of this kit will be divided between our two charities to assist in the ongoing research and development of breast cancer awareness. Please be aware of this disease and perform regular self exams, in addition to encouraging your friends and loved ones to self check as well. Thank you so much, from all of us at Sweet Shoppe Designs & The Digi Chick.

A Common Bond includes 37 Beautiful Papers, 2 Alpha Sets & 99 Beautifully Designed Embellishments. We truly hope you enjoy it!

You can get it HERE (click me).

5 comments:

Angelina Schwarz said...

Oh, Andrea, I hear you about these terrible shootings. We have Amish neighbors right next door and across the street...but of course, it's just horrible, no matter who you are. I am particularly upset with the media who insist on taking photos of these grieving people, when the Amish do not believe in having their photos taken. People need to have more respect. And the fact that the shooter had a seven year old daughter just boggles my mind...

Angelina Schwarz said...

BTW...GREAT new fall banner!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sick about the Amish shootings. I can't imagine this was the first sign that this man had a problem. Wouldn't it be nice if the milk truck driver had gotten some mental health help BEFORE he created such a tragedy?

Anonymous said...

It truly was a tragic thing.. I don't understand either.. it makes me sick.

I love your header... very nice.

Joy

Anonymous said...

Heartbroken about this horrible tragedy.
The Amish are such peacful people and I can't stop thinking about the families of the girls who were lost. I did not sleep at all that night. I can't imagine the pain they are dealing with. Praying for them all and thanking God for keeping my two little girls safe. Giving them extra big hugs when I picked them up from school.