Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Outlander....


So how much fun was that chat last night? It was such a great turn out, and we were all laughing and sharing all kinds of tips! Thanks friends! I really felt like we all bonded a bit last night, and will look forward to getting to know all of ya'll more! I was kind of nervous to start with, but we all got on famously.

The question came up about what is my favorite book. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon is my alltime favorite book. The whole Outlander series is just spellbinding and fascinating. If you look at her reviews, they are ALL 4.5 or 5 stars each. They are fabulous reads, and so beautifully researched.

I own the series in both hardback and paperback, and read through it twice. My mother, the woman who introduced me to the series, reads it yearly. And I think she has a cruch on the main male character Jamie, LOL!

"FROM THE PUBLISHER
Claire Randall is leading a double life. She has a husband in one century, and a lover in another...In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord...1743.Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire's destiny in soon inextricably intertwined with Clan MacKenzie and the forbidden Castle Leoch. She is catapulted without warning into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life ...and shatter her heart. For here, James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a passion so fierce and a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives.

FROM THE CRITICS
Library Journal
After being separated by seven years of World War II, Claire and Frank Randall return to the Scottish Highlands for a second honeymoon. Left to her own devices while her husband immerses himself in historical pursuits, Claire inadvertently enters a circle of standing stones and is plunged back 200 years to a Scotland on the verge of the second Jacobite uprising. Her pluck and skill as a nurse win the Scots' grudging respect, but only marriage to a Scot will save her from the clutches of Frank's vicious forbear, Black Jack Randall. Though first novelist Gabaldon uses time travel primarily to allow a modern heroine, this is basically a richly textured historical novel with an unusual and compelling love story. The author, an assistant professor of research in environmental studies, was encouraged to publish by fellow users of CompuServe and has two more books contracted. If these fulfill the promise of the first, they should win a devoted audience. Literary Guild alternate; Doubleday Book Club main selection.-- Cynthia Johnson Whealler, Cary Memorial Lib., Lexington, Mass."

Towards the end of the chatsome of the girls mentioned a book club... or at the very least, reading this book together, and having a chat about it at the end of July. So what do you think? Are you game? Is a month long enough for you to read it?

Welp, my little monkey is pulling on my leg, and I should let him run outside while its not raining!

20 comments:

Julie Jewels said...

Hey Andrea, I made it to your chat last night but it was towards the tail end of things!
I'm glad you had a great time! It sure looked like fun!

Michelle said...

I missed the chat! :( Kiddos were still up and I was getting them ready for bed.
That book sounds really good! I will look for it at the library when we get there soon!

Andrea said...

i always miss the good stuff *sigh*

glad you had a wonderful turn out and i will definately check out the book...always up for a good page turner!!

Melissa said...

Sorry I missed the chat!

These are my favorite books of all time. I've read them each 3 times now (except for the newest - only once).

Natalie said...

Ohmigosh, I've never "met" anyone who was familiar with these books! I first bought Outlander so long ago, and have read it so many times, that my book looks absolutely terrible. I'm sure I've read it at least 10 times (loved the second one, enjoyed the third, but couldn't "get into" any after that); it's surely my favorite book ever.

A *month* to read it? Gosh, when I bought it (which was, admittedly, before kids), it took me TWO DAYS to finish. Such a great read!

Christine said...

Now I need to go out and by that book! hehehe It looks really good.

Thanks for all the fun last night!

Anonymous said...

i'm so glad that i was able to be a part of the chat last night! it was fun :)

i am definitely game for the book chat. a month is plenty long enough - this sounds like fun!

Kimberlee said...

The chat was fun last night. I'm bummed to have missed out on the book club discussion, but glad to see that you are taking it on. It sounds like great fun!

Kristin said...

Andrea I was surprised to see that you, Mr. Rev. Nate Sir's wife loves that book! Please don't take that in a bad way (hard to convey "tone" in writing ya know?) I don't know why I couldn't get into it. I tried. The friend that recommmended it to me called them "mindless fluff"...I didn't think of them as mindless at all but there sure was lots of, um, "relations" LOL! Like a classier romance novel. Do they get better? I might have to try the next one.

Anonymous said...

I love Diana Gabaldon and the Outlander series! Ah, so dreamy and romantic. I'm with your mom... Jaime sounds to-die-for! Yummy! :) Have an awesome day!

~Amy~ (abbysmommy)

Anonymous said...

I'll see if I can find a copy and try and read it. I'm not much into romance novels, but I'll give it a chance. I had a great time at the chat. It was by far the best I've been to!

Carla

Anonymous said...

Missed your chat last night unfortunately (too late here in the U.K!) I have never heard of those series of books but I shall definitely try to read them as I grew up in 'border country' myself and have visited lots of stone circles. Can't say I was ever whipped back through time,though....!

Anonymous said...

Andrea, dahling! I love the Outlander series. I started reading them, oh, yonks ago when Outlander first came out. I loved them and have gotten a few of my friends hooked on them too!!
I remember hearing they were going to do a movie version. BUt who is hot enough to play Jamie???

Anonymous said...

I missed the chat! And it would have been my first time....I have been reading these books since I was 18... and I keep reading them over.. and over... and over. Where is the Jamie Fraser in my life???

Anonymous said...

Hey, Andrea! I'm going to go grab this book and join you ladies. I'm always looking for a good read!!

The chat was awesome, girlie! Quite a turnout! :)

Anonymous said...

Best series ever! I'm so bummed because I lost my hardcopy of Outlander, but still have it in paperback. I also have Voyager signed! I met Diana at a book signing when that one came out. Did you all catch the layout in the July (?) CK?

Anonymous said...

I love Diana Gabaldon books. Iread the first four when I wasliving in a hotel for a summer for work. I'm currently working my way through A breath of Snow and Ashes. Maybe I'll re-rean the first and join you for the chat...

Cheryl said...

Well I have to tell you I have all the books including Lord John Grey and the Private Matter which was the last one out here, not strictly part of the series but still a mighty fine read. Have reread them so many times!

But now to be a total enabler! Have you heard of Sara Donati? Writes in a similar vein to Diana Gabaldon and Jamie and Clare even pop up in spots in her books too!
Check them out in New Zealand here they are titled "nto the Wilderness" , "Dawn on a distant shore" , "Lake in the Clouds" and "Fire along the sky". Now I just have to wait patiently for the next installment, so am going back and re reading both authors books! Well trying to anyways!

Cheryl said...

Ooops just noticed a typo there the first of Sara Donati's books is called

"Into the Wilderness"

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I missed your chat the other night but heard that Outlander came up. I am with you, it is my all time favorite series. :) My mom just brought the lastest book over to me and I can't wait to dive in. I would love to join the book club but I have to read the newest book first! I am so excited. I will keep tabs with you all though, I just love these books! I checked Diana's website the other day and she said that there will be two more books in the Claire and Jamie saga. Woo Hoo!