Monday, March 27, 2006

Digi-Gal of the Day...

What an honor! I was named Digi-Gal of the day over at 2Peas! You can see the thread HERE. They asked me to tell a bit about myself, so I told a bit of my story... here it is again!

I am completely self taught in Photography & PS. I picked up my first SLR in High School, when I found a dusty old darkroom in my communications class. I had the sort of teacher who didn't care what you did, so he let me in there to clean it up and play every day, so I soon taught myself the darkroom too! I graduated and went to Toccoa Falls College in NE GA, for my degree in Early Childhood Education... but you have no idea how many people thought I was really a Communications major b/c of the camera around my neck and my job as Photographer Editor of the college's yearbook. When I graduated I found myself shooting weddings for freinds.

I taught 1st grade for a few years before becoming a mommy. Before I gave birth, I was helping a local photographer Part time, as her assistant in weddings.

However, my boss was super-frustrating. She is the type of woman who couldn't just let go... she never let me have studio time, saying that "people were coming to the studio b/c of her, since her name was on the title". She also never took the time to teach my anything in PS... and thenwould get mad if I didn't do it right.

So needless to say I never returned after I gave birth, but last April, I noticed Digi Scrapping on my birth board over at Babycenter.com. I was immediately interested, b/c it was everything I wanted to do... photography, mixed with PS! So I bought CS2, and over the next couple months learned everyhting my old boss wouldn't show me (evil laugh inserted here.)

I am also now designing for TDC and ACOT, and am just having a blast being able to make 1 or 2 dollars playing on the computer, LOL! Now that I have written a novel... LOL! I am married to Nate (5 yrs in May), 1 son Seth (18 mos), 1 dog Sadie, and about 50 or so Dart Frogs....

I also like walks on Sunset Beaches... LOL!


By Request.... my recipes from yesterday!

Shrimp Enchilada~

3 lbs raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 small onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil
cumin, oregano, pepper
2 (8 oz) tomato sauce
4 oz dry white cooking wine

Cover bottom of skillet with olive oil; saute onion, garlic, & green pepper. Add spiced, tomato sauce and wine. Drop shrimp into Lg pot of boiling water& bring water back to a boil. Cover pot and remove from heat. Let stand 3-5 min, til pink. Drain & add to sauce. Cook on Med heat, and serve over rice OR thin spaghetti.
*** It is BEST to make the day before and refrigerate overnight~ flavors mingle better, so serve the next day!

and my Apple Pie~

3 red apples
3 green apples
1 TBS lemon juice
3/4 c. sugar
2 TBS flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves (my secret ingredient!)
1/2 c. chopped pecans (my ingredient no one expects, but loves!)
2 Pie crusts (I use store bought)

Peel and slice apples real thin. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Line pie plate with crust and put in filling. (this makes alot of filling- but don't be afraid! It'll bake down some, and you'll have a nice full pie.) Put top crust on, crimp edge as desired, and cut some vents in the top. Bake 375 degrees for 25 minutes with crusts covered in foil. Remove foil and bake 25 more minutes.
Andrea's Pie Hint!!!!! Go buy one of those DiGeorno's double crust deep dish pizzas from the frozen section. Not only are they a good pizza, but they supply a foil/tin pie plate cover. SO MUCH EASIER to bake a pie with this, since its reusable. No more folding and shaping alum. foil.


We just got back from Seth's 18 mos Wellness Check-up. Everything looks great! Little Man is right at 25 lbs. Turns out he has some sensitive skin, and that explains his red bumps on his face from time to time. He also got 3 shots today... 1 of them being a Hepetitis A shot, to combat outbreaks. Do you remember the Chi Chi's restaurant outbreaks about 1.5 yrs ago? That was right here, in the next county over, so now they are immunizing the children.

I have been reading Memiors of a Geisha by Arthur Golden. I know, I know, I am so behind. I didn't read it for so long, b/c...well... I thought it was about prostitutes. I ahve learned though, that Geishas are really professional entertainers, like for company or in a Japenese Tea House. They do look for a danna, a man that will care and provide for them the rest of their life, but they are never expected to fall in love, nor to marry. It is a sort of slavery. Mr. Golden's imagery and language in the book is captivating. Needless to say, I am rather enjoying it!

Yesterday, we had a Froggy Shoot! Nate asked me to take pics of his Poison Dart Frogs... he is looking to sell prints along with his frogs at Frog Shows. Nate actually was my "wrangler" nudging them into place, scooping them up when they hopped too far. It was fun! Here are a few of my faves!





I still have to work on some fun pics I took on my trip... I also have to do some scrapping... and lets not mention finish a project, and start a couple more! Better go, before I feel overwhelmed!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being digi gal of the day, Andrea! You totally deserve it! Glad you got home from your trip in time to enjoy it! :)

-Melanie :)

Anonymous said...

Whew-hoo!! How fun!!
And I have to say that the Shrimp recipe looks great. I'm always leary (sp?) about trying non-chicken or beef recipes. I guess I've got to get over that if I want a little more variety in my diet!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

love the pics!

Congrats, on being the "digi" gal of the day:)

Melissa Ives said...

Congrats on being digi girl of the day...it's such an honor...isn't it? It's nice getting to know you, as I see your posts and layouts at 2Peas.

Great photos today, also!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being digi gal of the day at 2 Peas!!!

Wow! I am so impressed with your photography, I didn't realize you had that much background with it. No wonder your photos are so good!

Julie Jewels said...

Woo Hoo! Thanks for the recipes!!
Can't wait to try them!
Congrats on being digi gal of the day! That's pretty cool!

Love the pictures of the froggies! They came out amazing!!

Cassandra said...

Oh wow... Those photos are totally awesome!! For self taught, you sure know your way around the camera! And congrats on the Digi Gal of the Day!!

Anonymous said...

woo hoo - digi girl!

i love the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being The digi gal!!!!
I love those pictures of the frogs. Not that I am at all a frog person, but those are sweet. I love how vibrant the colors are! Especially on the while backdrop!

Katie Nelson said...

It was fun to get to know you better Andrea - thanks for sharing your story!

Those frog pics are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Andrea - these are AWESOME photos - you are a star photographer!

Congrat's on digi-gal - good stuff!