Thursday, March 30, 2006

Coffee & Spiders....



I love coffee. I am Cuban, and my abuela was giving me expresso at age 3 (just sips, but still...). I love good gourme coffee. Nate and I LOVE Starbuck's coffee, and we order specialized coffee from Bean Central Coffee, a couple times a year. Do check them out, they are awesome! If you decide to try some, our favorite is Oodles, it has some cinnamon and nutty tones to it!

Anywhoo, this morning I was brewing some French Vanilla, when I opened the Grounds Basket.... I looked down and Saw EVIL! My body convulsed, my immediate reaction was to throw the basket across the kitchen, as I let loose a scream only a banshee could appreciate. Why, you ask? What was in it? Only my worst nightmare.... a spider (shivers).

I have the worst fear of those little buggers... When I was little, I used to live in Peru, South America. My dad was a missionary to the Shapibo Indians on the Ucayali river, near Pucallpa. We lived there the first 5 years of my life... and one of my chores was to help sweep out the floors in the morning. I remember cockroaches the size of my fist... and I remember the spiders. Tarantulas is you will. I remember them coming too close to me, I remember the tickle on my legs as a peruvian daddy long legs flitted across.

My mother will tell you the story about how, one of our first nights in Peru she had to use the bathroom. She got up to go, and when she turned on the light, she saw a big hairy spider, the size of an outstretched hand, curled around the toilet seat. She says she turned off the light, went to bed,.... and never used the bathroom at night again!

They just freak me out! I have so many spider stories to tell you! Like the time They were out to get me, or the time I sat watching one for 15 min, b/c I was waiting for Nate, and I didn't want it to get away. But I won't bore you any longer, I'll save those for later... maybe this weekend or what not.

Do you want a Sneak Peek? I worked on this yesterday.... coming soon to ACOT!



Here are 2 more from my Sister's Series....

I have an eye appointment this afternoon, it about time! I need new lenses, both contacts and for my glasses. Haven't decided yet if I will keep the glasses I have, or get a new pair. I also have my last Ritz Camera class, and its all about lighting... hopefully this one will be usefull, LOL!

Before I go.. here is a question for you... Are you deathly afraid of anything? What is your favorite Coffee or Tea flavor? Ok, thats 2 questions, but I would love to hear from you!

11 comments:

Josh Virkler said...

EWWWWWWWWW! I hate spiders too! That story gave me the willies. (that's my biggest fear, to answer your question).

Favorite coffee flavor: probably chocolate macadamia or chocolate coconut. YUM! We got some of both on our trip to Hawaii and were very sad when we finished it!

(berekah)

Julie Jewels said...

Ewww, Andrea! I would've freaked out too! I don't have anything against spiders so much, but I love my coffee and I won't share! LOL
We used to have to shovel tarantulas at my Aunt & Uncle's house when we spent summers there. They lived in a valley and their backyard would get flooded with the dumb spiders. So before we could go out and play we had to clear them out. Gross!!
Favorite coffee? Hmm..I order from Boca Java and I really enjoy their Surfing Safari blend (vanilla, Kahlua and Caramel) as well as their Tropical Kiss ('gently kissed with chocolate and coconut')
Add a splash of French Vanilla creamer and I'm in heaven!!

Your new kit looks gorgeous! Be sure to tell us when it's ready!

Anonymous said...

Your story reminded my of my MIL's stories about growing up in Africa as a missionary kid. She saw a lot of spiders too...and lions, but you can't sweep those up! LOL!

Coffee...I love a good nutty or chocolatey flavor. Or a combo of the two. Like Charlene, we also discovered chocolate macadamia nut in Hawaii. I even order it sometimes from www.hawaiianisles.com. And just yesterday I discovered a new flavor I love at the coffee shop by work. They call it Turtle coffee: coffee w/hazelnut & caramel & steamed chocolate milk. Delish!

Anonymous said...

You new one coming in ACOT looks gorgeous! LOL about the spiders. Besides photography, you have a talent for story telling :) I can picture you staring down that spider waiting for Nate to come rescue you. But I do that too :D When there's a mosquito, I have to keep an "eye" on it so I don't lose it before DH can come kill it.

karen (Hom74)

Truly Blessed said...

ICK! I HATE spiders, too..... dh and I argue about this all the time... see - he fears NOTHING... so he doesn't see what the big deal is... *shuddering* just thinking about it...

Andrea said...

i am dethly afraid of spiders! i F-R-E-A-K out when i see one..just ask DH!! And sorry, no coffee! ICK!

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I got creeped out just reading about your spider/coffee experience! I have the worst fear of spiders too! I seriously, (I mean SERIOUSLY) have a physical reaction to just the sight of them. I think just the shape alone of a spider is enough to freak me out. Cannot emphasize this fear enough. So I am so sorry that nasty thing contaminated your coffee and gave you a scare this morning.

The story about your Mom and the bathroom spider ewww, ewww, ewww, that one would scare me enough to never use the bathroom at night too.

Craft Tea Lady said...

I don't know that I am terrified of anything, prob just pain to my body.

My fav coffee is Starbuck's Verona Smooth (put through the French Press) w/ a bit of hazelnut creamer or my gingerbread creamer recipe.

My fav tea... sweet lemon shake (boo hoo, it's been discountinued by the manufacturer and they don't have ANY MORE!).

My Life and My Loves said...

spiders are no longer an issue for me. we spent 5 years in england and lived a large part in a rural area. you find out real quick that spiders and frogs are your friends. yep, they trap and eat everything else that bugs you. (ha!)

i really dislike cockroaches. yuck. i don't mind having a mouse loose in my house - that's easy but on one military base we lived it was row housing and those nasty things just travel up and down everyone's house. if just one house didn't keep up on destroying them we all had them. yuck.

i love the new preview - it looks like you've been working hard.

did you know that i worked for starbucks? my fav beans are italian and espresso. most people don't know that espresso makes the most awesome cup of coffee.

lauren

Ange said...

Andrea, your new paper set looks georgeous girl! :) My biggest fear, needles. It's actually quite amazing that I have two children... lol! Not a coffee drinker though, but I love the smell of it. I have coffee scented candles... :)

Anonymous said...

This may or may not interest you, but my husband's father grew up with the Shapibo tribe in Peru. His father and grandfather James and Erwin Laurialt created the written form of the Shapibo language. They did it as translators for Wycliffe so that the tribe could read the Bible, so of course they taught the tribe how to read once the language was created. Stuff you see about one of the books they wrote online is now primarily used by secular language scholars as a reference for their studies...small world, isn't it? See these links: http://www.jstor.org/pss/1263091
You can see one of the books they wrote on Amazon.com called People of the Ucayali: The Shipibo and Conibo of Peru (International Museum of Cultures Publication, No 12) (Paperback)