Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Family....

The votes are in!! This weekend there will be a Bridge Walk Fashion Do's & Don't's! Hee, hee just wait! You won't be disappointed.

So, OK. I started the Twilight kit yesterday, and I am not loving it so far. I have a couple awesome papers... but need to scratch a couple from yesterday. My stripe paper is rockin'! Think of a real twilight... where the gold's and reds blend into dusky purples... yumm!

My mood the past few days has not been the best. I think it has to do with my family. Why is it, the last last day you are visiting with your family... you realize that it was one day too many, and everyone is on everyone's nerves? Take my youngest sister for example. She is about to finish Police Academy. She has always been a bit aggressive, obnoxious... now lets add cocky to the mix. At dinner she was bragging about getting pepper sprayed in the face (they have to experience these things) and she had the gall to mention that it probably hurt worse than childbirth.

Hmph. Really, is that so?

I told her about how I tore badly inside up both sides and needed quite a few stitches. She goes on to smugly ask, "yeah... but how long did that hurt?" (I could tell she was about to say her pepper spray hurt longer)

"I had to sit on a donut for two months. And you?" That was when my mom interjected that we all have varying levels of pain... yada yada yada.

My sisters are just still immature and selfish, and it drives me batty. And of course I can't just back down. That's my weakness. They push my buttons.

But then it got me thinking. Why aren't we closer? Why aren't we more encouraging and loving with each other? My parents deeply love each other, and often spent their evenings with each other in their own den, leaving us three girls by ourselves... Could that have something to do with it? Was there something my parents could have encouraged more in us?

And then I flash to the future with Seth and his siblings... What can I do to encourage a love and friendship between them? Any thoughts from you more experienced parents? I would LOVE to hear them.

On a lighter note... Have you been to LeXiee's blog lately? She has the most hysterical Shakira video running on it...

OK, as promised... some pics of the day! Nate and I.... tripod and self timer remote...

D70s, 50mm, ISO 200, F1:8, 1/1600


Keep coming back to see more!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such cute pictures Andrea!!

Sorry your sister was being obnoxious. :( I can't stand when people compare anything to childbirth. Argh!

I used your "Midday Mischief" alphas on my lastest page!

Christine said...

I can't wait to see the Fashion Show!! hehe

HAHA!! Glad you enjoyed the video!

What gorgeous picture of you and your hubby! Great job Andrea!!

Anonymous said...

Wow Andrea, you are gorgeous! Love that dress girl! Beautiful photos of you and your hubby! As for the sibling thing...hmmm, my kids are fighting so much these days not sure I should pass on any advice, LOL!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos.
I have an obnoxious younger sister too and she knows how to push buttons! I don't have children yet, but I think (in my experience as a child, LOL) it comes down to a jealousy issue. Our pastor recently spoke about parenting and mentioned that each child should get a date with each parent once a month without the other children around so they have full attention from each parent. There's one idea for you. ;)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos! Such beautiful people :) lol about your sister's comments. Those who haven't been through it just don't know. My DH had some tummy trouble one time and made a comment afterwards - now I know what it feels like to give birth. I just rolled my eyes. Just figured that's just something you say.

karen (Hom74)

Anonymous said...

Oh, those pictures of you and Nate are so sweet.
As for family stuff- my Mom would never let my sister and I fight things out- she's 12 years younger than I (16 yrs old right now) and we barely speak when we see each other- I'm sure it will get better when she's older and more "on the same page" that I am on, but I think our relationship stems from how my Mom spoke to us ("Katie, give your sister a hug," "Jenn, did you say hi to your sister yet?")- trying to force something before it's time.
Yeah, & I'm going to back you on that one---pepper spray ain't NOTHING like childbirth- I think your sister's smoking crack rock! hehehe

Kristin said...

Hi Andrea...gorgeous pics of you and Nate. What a happy, attractive couple you two are! Hey, I had a question about your tumbler templates (you sent it to me awhile back): do you just buy the mugs at Starbucks? Hoping to do one for Mom's Day. Thanks!

~Melissa~ said...

Hey Andrea~
Love the pictures of you and Nate!
Funny how you were questioning how to teach/nuture Seth because I wrote about the same thing in my blog! LOL Anyway... I'm no experienced Mom by any means but I have discovered, in my own journey to discover how to teach Isabella, the best way is to take a look at myself and make sure I'm doing what I expect/hope she will do. I always think actions speak louder than words. For ex... I want her to be respectful and full of joy so I need to make sure my that I am being respectful to others and living a joyful life. I think it's so much harder to teach something that is not who you are. Maybe try looking more specifically at why you three aren't close and maybe how you could (at least on your end) make that better (doesn't guarantee any thing because you can't change others but at least you can say you're doing your part). Then maybe you'll have an idea on how to encourage 'closeness' to your children. IDK... just sharing what I've learned.

Anonymous said...

Here's the truth, though, if you DON'T stay that extra one day too long, you leave thinking, MAN, I miss that place, and I'd love to move back and I'm so miserable where I am now. We lived in New Orleans (8 hours from my folks) when we first got married, and the first weekend I went home, I cried the whole time and was depressed when I had to go back. But after I went home for a couple of weeks, I couldn't WAIT to get back to my life. My brother is five years younger than me, and we're really close, but I think it has to do more with our temperments than with anything our parents did.

Nicole said...

Hey Andrea just stumbled onto your blog. I can really identify with you on the sister thing. I worry about how to help my own kids get along better too. I have found that my sisters and I get along better the older we get, which is really nice.

Those are beautiful pictures also.

Andrea said...

hot mama....HOT MAMA!! oh and hottie daddy to ;) ;)

lol!! had to just put that out there!

sorry about your sisters..someday things will change and get better! i know from experience!

and i am sooooo waiting for this fasion show...i would totally make the DON'T!

Anonymous said...

I always get like that with my family too. Whenever we were in Iceland, both Matt and I were like, is it time to go home yet? Our families would seriously start to get on our nerves that we WANTED to go back to Iceland. LOL The only thing that I can testify that is just as bad as child birth is kidney stones. Most definately. If you have a kidney stone during pregnancy you won't have problems with labor. LOL You would think an 8lb baby would hurt more than a 6mm kidney stone. But nope. That's the closest men will ever get to childbirth! :)
I love the cute pictures!