Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Hallelujah Homestyle....

Lets sing the Hallelujah Chorus together! My new dishwasher has arrived! Albeit it at 8:15 in the morning, but it is here! Now... to just get it installed.... ;)

Many of you have asked me about the book that I modeled the You Are My I Love You LO after... its a book by the same name by Maryann Cusimano. You can get the book HERE. I actually just saw that she has another book, a Holiday book with the same type style and illustrations... hmmm...

Speaking of books! I just got Southern Living's Homestyle Cooking in the mail yesterday! I was looking for a cookbook that was "normal" KWIM? There are so many cookbooks out there that have far out recipes, and weird combos of stuff, that I wouldn't cook here at home. I have scanned through the book a couple times, and I have to say there is some neat recipes in there that I will have to try! Last night it put me in the mood, so I baked a new bread recipe that I found on pg 124. I made it b/c I wanted to see if the recipes tasted any good before I committed to keeping it. Also b/c I had all the ingredients on hand! So here you go...

Spiced Applesauce Bread

1 1/4 c applesauce
1 c sugar
1/2 c veg oil
2 lg eggs, lightly beaten
3 T milk
2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grnd cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1 c chopped pecans, divided
1/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp grnd cinnamon

Combine first 5 ingredients in a lg bowl and stir well. Combine flour and next 6 ingredients: add to applesauce mixture: stirring well. Fold in 1/2 c pecans. Pour batter into a greased 9x5 in. loaf pan. Combine remaining1/2 c pecans, brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and sprinkle over batter in pan. Bake at 350* for 60-70 min or until wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 min, and then cool completely on a wire rack.

YUMMY for breakfast!! I do have to tell you... I bake with Self Rising flour, so I always leave out the baking soda & salt. And I didn't have pecans, so I substituted walnuts, and it was still very good! Do you have any good Cookbooks? I am intrigued by Rachel Ray... any experience with these? I would love to hear!

8 comments:

Christine said...

Ohhhhh yummy!!!

I'm only missing some eggs!!!!

If you need some dishes to fill your dishwasher.. please let me know

Anonymous said...

I'm intrigued by the bread, it sounds yummy, will have to try it soon :)

Amanda said...

Just the cake on the front cover is enough for me to want to buy it! Happy cooking!

Amy Covey said...

Thanks for the recipe - sounds yummy! I got a Rachel Ray cookbook for Christmas from my sister. It's called 365 Days, No Repeats. I like everything I've tried so far. I would recommend it.

Kristin said...

Mmmm...love some of Rachel Ray's stuff. I like to go to Food Network's website and look at her stuff. I also like Paula Deen from the Food Network. I made Paula's applesauce bread for Easter with her cream cheese/apple butter spread. Yum! And my toddler gobbled it up.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Southern Living cookbooks. I have 3 and they are all super. Their EASY WEEKNIGHT FAVORITES sounds like it might be something you'd want to check out!
This is my take on Rachel Ray- you can get most of the same recipes at www.foodtv.com I've had 2 of her books, and while they are good, it's nothing too exciting as I've seen so many of these recipes on her shows (I am a Rachel fan!) Now her magazine on the other hand- I've been thinking of subscribing. . .

Anonymous said...

That sounds so yummy! Almost like this bread we have in Iceland, I wish I could duplicate! So maybe I will try this one! :)
I love that book! And the other one that is I love your forever, i'll love your for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be. It use to make me tear up when my dad would read it, and now it does even more so when reading to my own boys.

Anonymous said...

Go get yourself some Rachael Ray. I own 4 of hers, I think -- and use them all the time. My hands-down favorite is 30 Minute Meals 2 - tons of good stuff. And you know what? It's really 30 minutes (well, I have 4 little kids, so sometimes I get interrupted, but they still come together pretty fast).

Your bread sounds delish!