Saturday, April 22, 2006

Book Review..

Thanks so much for all of the support yesterday! I always find it such a blessing to read your little notes of encouragement. I am just a normal (OK, Nate says not so normal, LOL) woman, and I have insecurities just like the rest of us... so when I see such friendly faces leaving me such friendly notes, it tickles my heart. Thank You!

I stayed up until 2 am last night finishing the book Grace In Thine Eyes. It by the Christian author Liz Curtis Higgs. I really enjoyed her first series (Thorn in My Heart, Fair is the Rose, & Whence Came a Prince) retelling the story of Jacob & Leah from the Old Testament. It was set in 1700's Scotland and completely opened my eyes to how terribly "Leanna" was treated.... Anyways, this new book is a spinoff, and a story about their daughter Davina, retelling the story of Dinah. Liz Curtis Higgs has an awesome way of retelling the story, and everything is research based, Old Testament and historically to the early 1800's Scotland. The story completely captivated me and drew me in. A great read, I completely suggest all 4 books!

Have I mentioned lately how awesome Ebay is? Two years ago my mother-in-law found and won an antique milk bottle. It wasn't just any mil bottle, but of one that orginiated from the family farm. The man who used to own it was HJ Gregory, my mother-in-law's grandfather. Now, that family farm is still in the family... but its owned and run my a distant cousin, and its not a Dairy Farm anymore, so no more Milk Bottles.

Two years ago I put in a Search for a milk bottle for myself, and asked to be notified by email whenever the criteria was met (ie Sugar Hill Dairy). It took two years, but a little bit ago, I finally got my email that a listing was up! I did end up winning the bottle, and it now sits on my shelf, but How neat is Ebay? Where you can go and find your family history and bring it back home?
Are you LOL yet? Can you see that PS is open in my screenshot? Its always open here.... LOL!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've just seen your layouts from yesterday's post and would like to ask you what methods you use for your dropshadows, if you don't mind sharing. I've just graduated from PSE 3 to PS CS2 and would like to experiment with more control on the shadows. I loved the blue layout featuring your baby -it's really beautiful and the drop shadows look SO realistic. Do you tweak the settings from the default option to make them look better? Anyway, lovely work!

Mrs. Burns said...

Hi Rebecca~ Honestly I use the default setting in CS2, MOST of the time. 120* at 75 oppacity. However, I do tweak it for clear items and things like stitching, where that drop shadow is too much. I will often drop it down to 20-35% for those. HTH!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Andrea! I've been lurking in your blog for a few weeks but I'll post more often now!

Julie Jewels said...

That is so cool to find those milk bottles! You're gonna share a picture, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Andrea!! That is so awesome! I would be so stoked if I found some family history on e-bay. Wow!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am from sunny Singapore! Chanced upon ur blog... U r quite an inspiration as I am just started to scrap! cute boy u have! simply adorable! Keep up the great work! Am sure u will cont to inspire me!

Alessia said...

hi. I'm reading Thorn in my heart right now, I've almost finished it. I love it! And I've bought the three other books, so I can read them right away!
I'm looking for people who have also read them, perhaps to answer the questions in the reading discussion guide, perhaps even create a forum for the occasion. Or just blog about it. If you want to read more about my idea, I jotted down a few words of it on my blog.