Saturday, January 19, 2008

My Equipment....

Thank you so much for such a great response to the pictures yesterday! I am tickled to death! I love the PAD, the first one of Seth, b/c that is SO him right now. Pokey hair and all!

Many of you wrote asking about my equipment, and that is what today's post is going to be, a list of my equipment.


Nikon D80. This is obvious. ;)

I have the Alien Bee 400, with the Large Foldable softbox. The softbox gives those great rectangular catchlights. Both are set up on the heavy duty stand.


I use the radio transmitter and receiver so I can go wireless.


I also have and use the 5-in-1 Reflector kit.


Now, for my backgrounds, I have the Seamless Paper Stand. The port-a-stand comes with a free roll of white paper.





I also have a few other seamless colors. (all in 53")

Yesterday, I got the white paper set up. I had the light on the left hand side at a 45 degree angle. Standard studio settings are F5.6, ISO 100, 1/125 ( I learned this after yesterdays shoot, you'll notice my ISO too high in those pics.)

I think I eventually need a handheld light meter, as I'm still trying to figure out the output I need. Oh! And that Smoke Grey seamless paper is next on my list.... ;)

ETA: Here is the set up in my basement.


That set up, using the sky blue seamless, was what helped create this picture of Lucas. Which BTW is Picture-A-Day #19.


There you go, and I hope this all helps! I've labeled this Photo Tip Friday for easy reference.

9 comments:

Shawna said...

Thanks for the equipment list Andrea! It gives me an idea of what stuff I might want in the future! I definitely want one of those backdrop stands & some seamless paper! Also what lenses do you use? I know you have the 50mm but do you use any others? I have the 50mm for my XTi and it's my fave lens so far, but would like to get something with a bit of zoom also.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! I know we've asked before. :o) And what's really impressive is that I think your photos look even more pro than the little girl on the cover of the Portraiture book on your right side of the blog. Awesome!
Thanks! Meg

Stacy said...

This was great! Thanks so much.

Tori said...

Thanks for the info...
The photos of Lucus..is perfect..the lighting..well- you nailed that..and he is gorgeous.. Both of your boys are :)

The McKays said...

Wow! We have almost the EXACT SAME setup! Except I'm a Canon girl! :)

I was wondering...how do you set your SS at 125? I thought it had to be 250 to sync with the lights?

I have a trigger, but I haven't figured out how to make it work with the strobe. How do you do it? Maybe I don't have the right kind?

Also, what do you use to set your WB? Your colors in the sample pic are right on. My skin tones never look that perfect! I have a hard time getting my daughter to sit on the narrow paper and if she gets too close to the softbox, her skin looks hot, or like plastic, if that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the low-down on your equipment Andrea! I've convinced DH that the bg paper won't be so expensive so it looks like some will be arriving at my house soon!

Stacey said...

VERY helpful, Andrea! Thanks so much for this!

Jill said...

Thank you so much for all of this information! It is so helpful to have fellow photographers out there willing to help others!!

Jackie said...

thanks for the info! It's so helpful to have a visual.