Friday, August 31, 2007

Photo Tip Friday~ Perfect Color

I very recently got an email from a friend of mine asking me a few questions... one struck me as something important to talk about on Photo Tip Friday.

She wrote, "When I upload my photos to the computer, they always look darker than they do in the viewfinder on the computer. I am having to lighten ALL of the pictures, do you know why that is?"


I wrote back that there could be LOTS of reasons!

a) it is possible that your camera is over exposing a bit. Even though it looks right in the 2 inch viewfinder, once it gets transferred and you view it at 100% it'll be darker. My Nikon D70 used to overexpose... but my D80 doesn't.

b) do you calibrate your monitor? This corrects your colors and your darkness and lightness. I use a Huey Calibrater.







Before I got the Huey I was a happy little photographer nerd who just color popped away. That is, till I shared Lucas' birth announcement with another photographer friend and she let me know that he looked like an Oompa Loompa.

Say what? His colors looked perfect to me! He was nice and pink. She told me to calibrate, which led me to buying my Huey.. and lo and behold, Lucas was an Oompa Loompa!

before

after

Now if you aren't calibrated you might not see much difference, but I hope you can see enough to distinguish it is important to make sure your colors are right and good before you go proofing them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have wondered this same thing myself. Thanks so much for this info!

Heather said...

I love Friday tips!!!!!!!! I too just recently calibrated my monitors (from PSCS2, not officially like Huey does) and I noticed a HUGE difference! Great tip!

Deena said...

OK... I have not invested in a calibration device yet, just manually calibrated... But seeing the huge difference makes me feel better about the colors I am seeing on my own monitor :) I have always wondered how true my coloring is! Thanks for the tip Andrea!

kg said...

So, what did you do to tone down the orange tone from the first announcement?

Mrs. Burns said...

kg~ After I calibrated I desaturated it some and then played with the individual color sliders in PS.

HTH'a and thanks for asking!

Rachel said...

Great tip! I do callibrate but I've never heard of huey before. thanks for sharing!