Sunday, September 02, 2007

Grieving...

My heart is just broken. Nate and I have made the decision that Sadie will not be coming with us to Maryland. We just couldn't coupe a shepherd up in a town house, nor could we bug our neighbors with her barking whenever she heard someone knock at the door.

My head knows that this is the right thing to do... but my heart is just grieving. I can hardly hold it together.



Sadie was our first baby, our puppy we bought together right before we got married. We've had her 6 and a half years, and she'll be 7 on Oct 11. She selflessly was our watch dog and our companion.

We are in contact with a Shepherd Rescue Organization, who may have already found a family for her, but that doesn't help. I just dread the day that we are going to have to say good bye.... just knowing that we won't ever see her again.

How could we? I'm so mad at myself. I'm hurting that we can't have this both ways... we can't move on and keep her. I'm mad at Nate because as a woman I am grieving more openly while he is brooding to himself quietly. I am upset that our days together are so limited.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sorry it isn't in Sadie's best interest to make the move with you. Good for you for really putting her best interest first. That's so hard to do with a beloved pet who is really a member of your family!

Take lots of pictures before the goodbye happens.

Anonymous said...

Andrea, Sorry to hear you will nto be able to keep Sadie. We have a baby of our own a Minature Schnauzer and I can not even imagine having to move on with out her. I can understand the reasoning behind it but I can imagine the pain it will cause. Is there anyone in your family who would be willing to adopt her. That way you could still see her once in a while. If not keeping her in your prayers is all you could do. May god find her a good home.
Sunshine

Donna said...

Andrea, I really admire your strength to be able to chose what is right over what is easy. I hope it is a great comfort to you and your family knowing that your beloved Sadie won't suffer being couped up in a town house. {hugs}

Kimberly said...

Sorry you won't be able to take Sadie with you. I'm sure the goodbye will be heartbreaking. I can't imagine having to say goodbye to our Sadie dog.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about you not being able to take her with you.I had a dog in a townhouse, so it is possible.I mean if they allow dogs there then the neighbors should understand.I'm sorry I am sure I am not making it easier for you but I just cant imagine having to go through that (((HUGS))

Kim said...

Oh sweetie, I know this feeling and it is the worst. I cant imiagine giving HOya (our Boxer) to strangers, it is heartbreaking to think about

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Andrea. I know it's very hard when your head tells you one thing and your heart tells you another. We lost our dog to cancer in July, and I've found that scrapping his pictures has been very theraputic for me. I'm sure she will be in a good home.

Carla