Tuesday, September 19, 2006

From "Blue" to SCAMMED....

It all starts with my sister. She was engaged to this guy. He "supposedly" had bad credit, and couldn't open a credit card to buy her an engagement ring. So she went with him, and opened one in her name, allowing him to purchase this ring.

Well, they had some trouble, and decided to break up. This guy was a real scumbag, because he left my sister with the payments of her own engagement ring. One she couldn't take back, because they had already had it for awhile.

Well, I have a few years of Ebay experience. Mostly buying experience, but I have sold a few things. My sister asked me to try and sell the ring for her. I posted it, and the end date was September 1, 2006.

I never had a bid on it, but I noticed I had 2 watchers. Once the item ended, one of the "watchers" came out of hiding, and told me he was still interested. STUPIDLY, I told him it was available. TRAGICALLY, I didn't relist with Ebay so he could buy it outright. If I had done that, my sister and I wouldn't be in this mess today.

Now, at the time, my husband and I were preoccupied with our upcoming vacation. I didn't think to research anything. This guy started talking about "escrow" and how safe it was, how it protected both buyer and seller against fraud. I took a look at the site he was referring to... http://www.trading-security.com/. It looked real enough. It looked professional, it even has a member sign in, and account information.

This guy said he wanted a 2-day inspection period. I thought that was reasonable.. you know, take it to a jeweler and make sure the stones were real.

So I set up an account, and started the transaction. A day later, the account told me that YES, he did indeed pay the money to the company.

Supposedly, this is how Escrow works. It is supposed to be a fraud deturrant to both sellers and buyers.The buyer pays the escrow site, they hold the money. Seller ships item. If buyer likes item, Escrow company releases money.

So while I am on vacation, my sister ships the ring off. (You'll notice in my emails, that he tricked us into not insuring, nor claiming the worth. STUPID US)

I start tracking this ring like a hawk. I notice it gets stalled in Spain. The FedEx site says Incorrect Address for 3 days.

3 days. We had our chance to try and reverse the shipment, for 3 days, and now its gone.

With relief, I realize that the ring was finally delivered on Sept 14, 2006.

I should have realized what was going on, when I never heard back from my buyer after the email with his address listed.

I sent out another email on the 16th, and as you can see, it bounced back and an illegal alias email. Now, I'm really scared.

So I write a support letter to the escrow company http://www.trading-security.com/ still thining that they are legit, and will help ASAP. Two days pass. I wrote another letter. A third day passes, a third letter.

No one is helping me, no one is viewing my "open support tickets."

With a sinking feeling, I finally do my research.

Fraudulant site. Scam Artists. Professionals.

Maybe working together, maybe one same guy, I don't know.

I am literally sick to my stomach. Now my poor sister is out $3000, with nothing to show for it. I spent a whole 24 hours on the computer, researching, writing umpteen letters, collecting umpteen phone numbers. The couple hours I did sleep, I could still feel the adrenaline pumping through me.

Except, Fed Ex won't help, since the undeclared state. They stated "they are only in the business of delivering packages." Ebay won't help, because technically the guy contacted me after the sale, thus it is not an Ebay auction sale. I can't seem to call these numbers on my cell phone, because they are international phone numbers.

My sister is going today to file a report with the police in the county she mailed the package. The real kicker... my sister is a county sherrif! I have found the phone numbers to the police, both local and national, in the city the ring was delivered.

I am praying for a miracle.

The moral of the story is, do your research. Take the time. Get your money first, or go through a reputable company like https://www.escrow.com/.

Hopefully I can come back and give you a positive update.

Any and ALL help or advice you can give is MOST appreciated, and I promise to follow up.

***************

I have started a second blog, Trading-Security.com Fraud . I have created this blog, to tell my story, and to hopefully inform others before they make the same mistake. My hope is thatwhile doing a search for the fraudulant company Trading-Security.com, this blog pops up in the search engine right near the offending company.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Andrea!
I am so sorry! Some people just blow my mind!! They truly have no thought for anyone except themselves. I will be praying for something miraculous to happen.

Ange said...

Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear this. Ugh. It's crazy what some people will do isn't it? Hugs to you. I hope this has a good ending.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am sick to my stomache!I don't know how people like this sleep at night! Sending lots of prayers your way and hoping to read a post with a happy ending!

Margie said...

That is horrid Andrea! One thing I noticed is the person seems like an American pretending to be a foreigner because he did use a "z" instead of "s". I live overseas and everyone learning English learns British -wish I could help you and your sister-but I will pray-it can help!!

Anonymous said...

sorry that happened - not much you can do about it now, i don't think. good things to keep in mind are always doing things thru ebay (and/or paypal) thus having legal means to take care of things, not shipping things to other countries besides the US, AND never ever, ever, ever sending anything until you receive cold, hard cash in your account.

Anonymous said...

Are you absolutely serious?! That is the WORSE situation ever....I can't even imagine. I will say a prayer that you have some positive result quickly. Who needs this crap in their life right? I am so sorry this happened to you both :0(

Jody Knapp said...

That is just awful! I am so sorry. Why are people just such Jerks!

Anonymous said...

Andrea,
First let me just say that I am so sorry. I am praying that this all works out for you. Second, I put that name in as a yahoo search and it did not turn up your blog. It did bring up the original site and 9 other hits. Those 9 were all statements of fraudulent escrow sites.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear your experience on this. As far as I know this is the second scam you encountered. It just goes to show the downside to internet. I wish you the best of luck on solving this problem. Take care :)

Anonymous said...

That is terrible Andrea! Here is a great link for you to read. The some thing happened to some guys several years ago now and this link tells their whole story. The best part is that they figured it out ahead of time and scammed the scammer :-)
http://www.p-p-p-powerbook.com/files/thepowerbook.pdf

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. You are such a good person. You really don't deserve this kind of hell. I would think that the athorities in Spain would be your only recourse, but I really have no experience in this area. As for the company, is there any way to contact the ISP to find out who's paying for it? My guess it that it's owned by the guy/gal who scammed you. Also, the site should be shut down by the ISP.
My husband sells high-end audio equiptment and often gets foreign soliciations on his listings. They all seem fishy, so he's made a rule not to sell internationally.
My prayers go out to you and your sister.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, I have been reading yr blog for a long time now, but have never left a comment.
Until now - I really do feel for you & your sister,this is such an awful thing to happen to such a sweet person as you.
I remember seeing the pic of the ring on your blog & felt sad for your sister then and now for this to happen is just too unfair :(
You are such a good person to make your other blog to warn others.
Wishing you & your sister the strength to overcome this speed-hump in your happiness highway!

XX Sharon

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am so sorry. My parents have been scammed in the past, and had bank account information stolen. It's truly unbelievable what some people will do, and then can actually live with themselves afterwards. You and your family are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hello Andrea, I just read this in FULL detail and what happened made me so mad!! Seriously! I hope the scammer gets caught and dont think abt this anymore, what's done is done (unfortunately) and all we can do right now is pray for this. (HUG)
Aggie

Anonymous said...

Call your local US Secret Service office (mine is Newark NJ)....I just bought a Scion tC in August and the sales person stole our identities...the local PD's are involved and investigating but a friend told me to contact the FBI...I did, they immediately referred me right to the US Secret Service who have taken things into their own hands.....

Good luck...people are such creeps...so so sorry this happened to you and your sister! :(

~jayne

lady wrytr said...

Hello, I wish I had read your blog two weeks ago. I thought I had DONE my research on trading-security.com. Like you, they looked and acted legit. It now seems I was dooped, just like you and so many others. The REALLY unfortunate thing about my situation is that the necklace sold is not mine! My friend came to me and asked me to sell her necklace. I listed it on Ebay first. The guy then contacted us after, and we went ahead with the sale.. FedEx delivered.. all was confirmed.. escrow account looking legit all the way.. and now tonight, she called saying didn't I think it had been long enough? I did. She is worried.. I admitted my own concern.. I told her I would go to the escrow service web site and see what was happening.. and I couldn't get in. I HAVE to do something! I am just sick! I feel so responsible, even though I did what I thought I should do, and yes it was ultimately her decision.. but she knows NOTHING about computers and selling and such.. she can't afford to be out $5000. Who can? So what can we do?? We HAVE to do something. ~Nancy