Friday, July 07, 2006

Prayers...

I have a date tonight. A good looking man is picking me up and taking me to Pittsburgh! We have a dinner date at PF Chang's, and then movie tickets to the new Pirates of the Caribbean. A certian little monkey is going to the sitters. I am dreaming about it already...

Now why are we going on a date tonight? Because tomorrow morning at 9 am, Nate is taking a van full of teens to New Orleans. They will be gone a whole week. Nate, another chaperone, and 6 teens will be doing deconstruction and clean up in a Katrina-Ravished home.

This group of 8 will be sleeping on a church floor, getting up early for prayer time. From 9 am to 2 pm they will be shoveling out a house, taking down dry wall, throwing away the rotted cans of food, and trying to salvage the structure of the home. They will do this in 90 degree heat with 100% humidity, long pants, and face respirators. After dinner, the group will head to a local housing development to just hang ou with the kids and play games.

Almost a year ao I was gripped with the scenes on my TV about the Katrina survivors, and now my husband gets to go personally meet them and extend a hand. Our kids going realize that they aren't going to have a fun time.. this isn't a retreat. This is going to be hard work. This is going to be excrutiatingly disgusting and smelly work.

They can't wait to go. They can't wait to meet the homeowner. They can't wait to play with the neighborhood children.

Please pray for this small group. Please pray for their safety, their willing spirit, their health, and for God to also teach through them to others, and to teach them as well.

I'll keep you all updated as I hear updates.

14 comments:

Deanna said...

oh what a wonderful thing to be involved in..I cant wait to hear more updates...and maybe some photos too? Biggest prayers to your DH and his crew....

Anonymous said...

Hugs to you too. I hope you won't be too lonely. I can always call and harass you if you like ;))
Prayers to Mr Reverend sir and his cast of helpers.

My Life and My Loves said...

awww...great post. gonna go see the movie today, too.

hey girl - i used your kit and i wanted to let you know. loved the way it turned out - and it was a freebie to boot!

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1494&cat=500&ppuser=245

Stephanie said...

I'll be praying for your hubby and the group. Those rebuilding trips are some of the most spirit moving trips ever. I'll look forward to hearing about it.

~ashleigh said...

What a great thing for your dh to do. Reminds us that there is still so much left to do. Sending prayers.

And have a great time, tonight!

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful Andrea! I will definitely be keeping them in my prayers!

Julie Jewels said...

What a wonderful thing for Nate and these kids to do!
I'll keep them in my prayers!

Have a great time on your date tonight!

Rachael said...

Prayers for your honey & crew... what a wonderful thing they are doing!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for this group! I am praying that God will do mighty things through their hands and in their lives during this next week! And also for safety as they travel and work! Can't wait to hear some great stories from their trip!!

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with your husband and his group. I live not to far form New Orleans and our area was spared with minimal damage. My mom , who lives closer to N.O., is still not back in her house. It is a great thing that your husband is doing. Although Hurricane Katrina was devastating and has hurt so many, it has also shown the compassion and love of the human race.
God bless.

Deena said...

Going to New Orleans will be such a great experince for the teens, and Nate!! Our church took two truckloads of stuff down there right after the hurricane, and those who went, i honestly think will be changed forever!

Anonymous said...

they will absolutely be in my prayers.what an amazing gift they are giving this family to help in this way. Gob bless each of them.

Michelle said...

That is such a toatlly awesome thing, Andrea! They will be blessed by their trip! :)
And woo whoo on the date! Did you have fun?

Lacey said...

Prayers going up!