Friday, July 20, 2007

Photo Tip Friday~ Drape The Background

Set up a plain background next to a window. Use an unpatterned, black or white sheet, blanket, or tablecloth and drape it over a sofa, ironing board, or like I've personally done, tack or nail it to the wall. This creates an instant backdrop. Make sure that your subject sits a couple feet away from the back of the drape, because you don't want harsh shadows cast, and the backdrop is not in focus. Keep the setting simple, just the backdrop, your subject, and maybe a prop. Have everything ready to go, especially when shooting kids. They tend to fidget when they have to wait.

Here are a couple before and afters.....


photo by Andrea Burns


photo by Molly H.


Once you have the photos taken you can open them in Photoshop and make them stunning. In both of these cases above, I used my Burn tool and burned the background to get it rich and deeply black. If you use a white background you can use the Dodge tool. I usually set it on a soft brush and about a 20% opacity and go over it several times. After that I use the Blur tool and blur the background to help lines blend together. In the case of the ballerina, I even used the Clone tool to fill in where the backdrop exposed floor.

16 comments:

Mary said...

Great tip, I love those shots BTW

TFS~mary

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't know you're doing photo tips- I think I'm going to have to keep ya' on my faves blogger list. Thanks so much!

Natalie Putnam said...

I just had a quick question...

Do you know if you photo actions will work in Element 5? I would LOVE to get them but I need to be sure they will work for me.

Thanks!
Natalie
(natalie at stringham dot org)

Sally said...

So cool. Thanks for the tips!

Michelle said...

Good tip! :) Love your new header too! :)

daNi aLeNCar said...

Love the tip!!! Love your idea. Really need those kind of tips.

Anonymous said...

Great tip!

Heather Stokes said...

This is GREAT for us beginner's, Thanks SO much!

Kara said...

This was so super helpful for me. I actually tried this with a newborn a few weeks ago and it just looked like I'd layed him on a wrinkled blanket! Thanks to these I realize what I did wrong!

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the great tip.

Anonymous said...

Great tips and love the idea here. I'm always looking into improving my photos. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Super tips, Andrea. Thanks! BTW, LOVE the idea of 'Photo Tip Friday'!

Sabrina said...

Awesome tips Andrea!!!
Thanks for sharing!!!
Have a wonderful weekend!!!!
(((HUGS)))
Sabrina

Sweet Peripety said...

What a great thing to have Friday Photo Tips!!! :-)

Sassifrass said...

Thanks for the great tip, what a difference. I have that not enough backdrop problem too,

Shannon Morrison said...

great tip! i just finished a cookbook and would love some tips on food photography!