Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Miami, Part 2

So, not all of my Miami trip was sadness. There were some good times mixed in.

We stayed at my Tia's (aunt's) house, because her house has more room than my Abuela's (grandmother's). Everyday was so great because I got to eat foods I hadn't had in the longest time, awesome Cuban Cuisine. My Abuela can cook! And she doesn't have any of these recipe's written down, so I was watching and writing stuff down all week. I can not wait to make her Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice) very soon!

Wednesday we didn't do anything. We were all zonked from being up so late at the funeral home the night before, and of course we were still grieving. We did walk on down to the beach. Tia lives about a half mile from North Miami Beach, and because its a residential area, the beach is not crowded with tourists.

Thursday we went through my Abuelo's few belongings and split most of it between my father and my Tia. I've already mentioned what I was able to keep (shirt, bible, photos & letters). Thursday afternoon I went and did a bit of shopping with my cousin Nataly. There is a 9 year age difference between us. I've never felt so dumpy and dowdy in my life.... browsing in shops on South beach while these beautiful twiggy latina's and surgically enhanced blondes milled around me. It did make me more determined to lose this weight! That evening right after dinner, Nataly, her boyfriend Derek, and I ran to the beach for an impromptu photo shoot.

I am in love with these pictures! They came out so beautifully and natural looking! I'm still proofing, but you'll love them when you see them too!

Friday we spent the afternoon at Aventura Mall, where I found a dress at Gap. I had been eyeing this dress forever, and lo and behold, it was on sale for half price and in my size! (Ok~ a size smaller.... but my usual dress size, minus baby weight.) after the mall we went to the Ceviche House for dinner. Ceviche is a Peruvian dish of fish. The fish has not been cooked traditionally, it is mixed with onions, cilantro, and lots of lemon juice. The lemon juice "cooks" the fish in the fridge, and it is a cold dish. YUMM! I have my family's recipe if you are interested, just leave me a little post.

(sidenote.... I am Cuban, but I spent the first 5 yrs of my life in Peru, so we have some food dishes from there as well.)

After dinner my Tia, who loved Nataly's photos, wanted some pictures of her and her boyfriend, so off to the beach we went again! These also turned out beautifully!

Saturday morning we hit the beach again one last time. There really is no beach like Miami beach. Clear green water, and fairly shallow quite a ways out. After our lunch, I packed up and off to the airport to come home.



I was really lucky on all my flights. (I had 4, a layover each time.) I had registered Lucas as "Infant in Arms" because they are free that way up until 2 yrs. I only ended up holding him on the very first flight to Cinci. The other 3 flights had an open seat next to me and I was allowed to bring his carseat on the plane and set him up next to me. He was a champ and slept or cooed on all the flights.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Will you share your chicken and rice recipe on your blog? Assuming, of course, that it's not a family secret!

Angela said...

It sounds like you had a pretty decent time. It sounds great to spend time with family that you are away from. I wish I could do that more. The pictures are so cute. Okay, what Gap dress did you get? I love their dresses. Old navys swim wear is really cute this year, even for woman. :o) Have a good day Andrea & God bless.

Angela

Theresa said...

Oh Andrea, I'm so sorry about your Aubelo; how tragic. My heart goes out to you and your family.

But, I'm glad you were able to have some fun. Great photos, they really are awesome!

Kim said...

Lovin' the pics

Sara said...

Those a good pics, makes me miss FL and the ocean and the beach! I'm glad you were able to enjoy your time in Miami. Can't wait to see the pictures from your impromptu photo shoots :)

Amanda said...

How awesome that you could spend that time reconnecting with family!

The pictures are wonderful;)

Sabrina said...

Adorable pictures Andrea! Yummmm, arroz con pollo is one of my all time favorites!! The last time my grandmother was visiting us from Colombia, I did the same thing. She cooked and I wrote everything down as she has the recipes in her head only too!! She made arroz con pollo and empenadas, and her famous aji!! Ceviche is one of our faves too. When Isabella was in Pre-K her teacher asked me, "what is ceviche?". All the kids had to tell what thier favorite food was and most said hamburgers and pizza but Isabella said Ceviche. It is still one of her faves! We make it a little different in Colombia, with shrimp. All this talk is making me hungry!! LOL! The photos are all wonderful!!