Thursday, April 19, 2007

Chubby Chunkerson....

I had a long day filled with stuff yesterday, so I thought I'd fill you in.

We had Lucas' 1 month appnt yesterday morning. Can we say CHUNK?

12 lbs 4 oz
22 in

Four pounds in one month!

The doc was like, "You don't supplement?" I just LOL! Then he started talking about how he doesn't want Lucas to get "fat" so he suggested that when we feel the time is right to go ahead and start some cereal. He said that BM is much more caloric per ounce than cereal. Dude, whatever, I'm not feeding cereal quite yet.

He also suggested we use some Hydrocortizone for Lucas' baby acne, and that we wash some of our (adult) shirts in Dreft to see if that helps.Then, I asked him about Lucas' u.r.e.t.h.r.a. See I've noticed that his u.r.e.t.h.r.a is like a round hole, rather than a split. Doc took a look and said, "Yep, thats gonna be a problem later."

He says that if the hole doesn't grow with Lucas and "split" like it should, we are looking at having to see a Urologist and some surgery to "widen" it up.

Heaven help me!

You know... I don't think it is very often you ask your Doc if your one month old will be able to have a family one day, LOL!

After that I drove to Pittsburgh for the day. Nate is there a few days this week at Conference and I wanted to catch up with a couple other Youth Pastor's wives in the district.

Oh! Lucas only got up once last night.. at 4 am.. then again at 7... so hopefully thats progress.

***************

I heard the neatest make-up tip the other day on the Today Show. You know how sometimes you knock your blush or eyeshadow off the sink and then it shatters into a million pieces? And then you think its forever broken and ready to be trashed b/c of the fall?

Well, some make-up lady on the Today Show said to take a couple drops of rubbing alcohol and pour it into the broken mess. Then use a butter knife to press it all back down and together. After a couple minutes, when the alcohol has dried/ evaporated, it should be good as new!

Isn't that a neat trick?

Happy Thursday!

8 comments:

Kresta said...

Aww, poor little guy. I'm sorry you're having to even think about surgery for him. Will keep him in my prayers.

And, cereal for a 1-month old, ummm, I don't think so. A newborn who is solely breast-fed should not have his pediatrician even saying the word "fat". Sorry, that didn't sit well with me. I'm glad he's so healthy, and YAY MOMMY for providing him with the best nutrition he can get!

Terrell said...

My son was on cereal at 2 weeks. He would not sleep through the night and wanted to eact every hour almost. He had been born premature by 4 weeks and was 6 lbs 12 oz, 19.5 inches at birth. By the third day he was eating nearly 60 ounces of Soy formula per day. The child was constantly hungry. He wouldn't take to a pacifier, holding didn't make a difference he only stopped crying when he ate. I put cereal in his bottle and within 2 days he cut back on his formula to 40 ounces per day, by the end of the first week he was down to 32 ounces of formula and three teaspoons of cereal per day. His one month checkup he was already over 13 lbs and was 24 inches. Until this year he was bigger than 95% of the children his age - height wise, this year - he is 10 - he is still bigger than 8% of them. He is a normal weight - size 12 is slightly loose. He's not fat because he eats healthy. I make two vegetables everyday, a salad at least every other day (with chopped spinach in it) and I alternate between fish, beef, pork and poultry. Babies get chunky - that's why they call it baby fat lol. His stomach is fine, only problems he has are allergies.

Josh Virkler said...

I'm sorry to hear about the possible surgery; I'll be praying it isn't necessary.
And ditto Kresta...BM is absolutely perfect, so don't worry about his weight gain. My brother Evan was putting on a pound a week for awhile, and he's one of the thinnest of my brothers now, so it has no bearing on what he'll look like later. Good for you for going with your instinct ;)

Sinead said...

poor little munchkin! and no, I wouldn't be going the cereal route, either. I've always been told the opposite--formula/cereal will make them bigger than b.r.e.a.s.t.m.i.l.k.

JennStar said...

Oh no Andrea!! I hope that he doesn't need surgery- way more for your sake than his because he won't remember it, but for the Mommy!! Ouch!
Yeah, I'd have to agree with ya- he's good on BM- cereal can wait! LOL! God has created your body to make the perfect food for the little man!! Contrary with what some Dr's think!

meems said...

Hope his problem will clear up on his own and surgery won't be necessary.

Do not agree with your ped about worrying about fatness. That's kind of ridiculous at this age, isn't it? I've knowns some very chunky babies and they grew up to be totally normal, no weight problems. He's so cute and perfect!

Heather said...

Oh I hope he won't need surgery!

I can't believe your dr said he was getting fat! Bill gained 6 pounds his 1st month and kept up at 1 pound a week for a good bit. Our dr said he was obviously thriving on breastmilk and to keep it up. Isn't it funny how you hear completely different things from different doctors? Way to go for supplying just what your baby needs to grow!

Jenn :) said...

Awwww...that poor baby!!!! :( I'm so sorry, Andrea!!

Man...12 lbs?!!! My little Chloe (who just turned 1 on March 29th) is only about 19 lbs! lol BUT, we had breast feeding issues and she wasn't getting back up to her birth weight, so I think she's still catching up from that. Anyhoo, I don't blame you for wanting to wait to feed him cereal...I've heard more recently that it isn't good for them to feed it so young...something about it messing up their digestive track, and also possible food allergies in the future, I think :(

Oh, thanks for the cool makeup tip! :D ((HUGS)) :)