Monday, May 04, 2009

Audrey's Birth Story....


I was pumping out some contractions so we left for the Hospital and checked in around 7 am. They were very manageable. We were ushered to the delivery room around 8 am. They went ahead and hooked me up to the different belly monitors (contraction & baby heartbeat). The baby was at -2 station. All through the day/ labor the nurse kept having to chase down Audrey's heartbeat. She kept moving away from the monitor.

My Dr came in and checked me around 11 am... I was already 3 cm and the baby was at +1 station. The Dr reached in and broke my water by hand... which surprised me and made me call her superwoman... my last Dr. used a crochet hook type tool, lol.

My contractions were immediately much stronger, and right on top of each other, and I requested my epidural.

My epi was slow to come, I received it around 12:30. It hurt going in, as it did with the boys. I made sure to tell both nurse & anesthesiologist about my paralyzed legs experience with Lucas. I was told to lay flat for 20 min. to disperse the epi drugs properly... the PA hospital never told me that. I was nice and tingly/numb within 30 min.

Nate and I dozed on and off... I had a self-dispersing Epidural "boost" that I pushed just once.

My Dr came in at 4:30 and check me. She was surprised to see that I was complete and ready to push. She asked me to give a "practice push" and I did just that. Her eyes got HUGE, she said "STOP!" and both the nurse hurried to ready the room and the Dr got dressed for delivery. I couldn't feel a thing (YAY!) but apparently everyone knew that she'd be in the world within a push or 2.

It took 1 real push to deliver her head, and then one minor push to expel the rest of her. Audrey entered the world squalling and looking just like Lucas. But over the past few days, now that her "birth swelling" has receded and she lost a few ounces, she looks JUST like Seth.

No stitches, this was by far my easiest and fastest labor. Recovery has been going much better.

She really is a pretty lil' thing, she's sleeping a lot. She has a bit of Lucas' rash, but its not as bad.




Smitten Daddy


The boys meet their sister for the first time. Seth LOVES her, wants to hold and kiss... Lucas wanted nothing to do with her. Pushed her away, gave both Audrey & I the cold shoulder for a couple of days. He's since been warming up, blessing her sneezes, and saying "Hi Aud-ey."


The Burns family's first family portrait


Audrey coming home....

My daughter was 2 days old... and was already involved in a car accident! On the way home we stopped at a Potbelly's for lunch and while Nate was inside, this lady backed into us so hard it actually moved our car some. Yet, it didn't leave a mark. When she saw Audrey and then heard how old, I thought she was going to cry. Everything was just fine.


at home in the pink petal showers....


And pretty in pink at 3 days old....


THANK YOU everyone for your love, support, and prayers the last week. I've felt every one!

29 comments:

Heather Morozov said...

Andrea,
She is just stunning and I LOVE that she has so much hair you can put a bow in! My little girl is 18 months and just now getting bows in! LOL! Precious girl and blessings to your family!

Jennifer Woodbury said...

She is so gorgeous Andrea, and you look great! Congrats again!!

Mary said...

Your family is beautiful.
Congrats on your new arrival, she really does look fab in pink ;) and you look great.

Angyla said...

Wonderful story and photos (your family is gorgeous!). I so enjoyed reading it...it makes me so anxious to meet my baby girl in June.
And you look awesome...you do not look like you just gave birth!

Jamie said...

Love the pink petal picture...how fitting to come home to that. =) Congratulations again.

Conni said...

Wow Andrea she is beautiful!! And you too, even in your labour pictures, you look amazing!! I think in the picture of her in her car seat, she looks like Lucas, I think!!

Sara E said...

she is just adorable! how scary to be in a little car accident so soon too, but good thing it wasn't anything bad

congratulations!

Tammy said...

OH my goodness. Thank goodness you 2 weren't hurt at all. And what a beautiful baby. I have been following your pregnancy and you look just as beautiful now that the baby is born. Blessings to your growing and wonderful family.

LovelyMissKait said...

Congratulations on the new family addition! Audrey is beautiful, but then again, so are your boys. You are all blessed with good genes! :)

AMY said...

Your entry brings tears to my eyes. :) So lovely. What an amazingly beautiful family. I'm glad your birth went smoothly.

Heather M said...

This little girl looks so much like Lucas to me!!! (Of course, I have never met you or your boys! LOL) She is precious and I think I might have DIED if I got rear ended with her in the car. I am so glad all is okay!!! CONGRATS again!

Gen said...

She's gorgeous (not a surprise at all ;) ) I need a printable photo of her to stick up in the house. I'm so happy for you & Nater! I must say that I'm smitten.

DebKennedyPhotography said...

Oh my goodness! Andrea, she's beautiful! & what a gorgeous family! Congrats!

amber said...

so so so sweet! blessings to you and your family! hugs!

Kimberly Marie said...

Congrats! She is adorable.

Emilie said...

She is a doll!!! So cute!!!!
My sister had her baby on April 20th. How wonderful to have a fresh baby at home!!! :)
((HUGS))
Emi

Jhari said...

Oh she's so adorabe Ms Andrea. Get well soon. Congratulations!!! Big hugs!

Kristin said...

Congrats! What a beautiful addition to a beautiful family!

Jill said...

Andrea she is so beautiful! Congratulations!!

Lindsay said...

wow! i love the little bow in all that dark hair! it is just adorable! what a great birth story-i only hope my third (in less than 10 weeks) will go as smoothly! congratulations :)

Shawna said...

You all look so happy and she's beautiful.. and you do look great.. i always look so swollen after birth.

gabs said...

this is what happens if I have to much appointments in real life: I totally miss the important things here! congratulations family burns! your little one is adorable. and gosh she has sooo much hair! wishing you all a wonderful time to getting to know each other!

Chloé said...

Awwwww, she's so precious!!! Congrats again!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your story!
Love the pink petals in the background.
She is truly blessed to enter into such a loving family.
You look great btw!
love the pink outfit and bow in her hair.
girls are so much fun!!
congrats

dawn inskip said...

OMG Andrea - she's absolutely adorable - congratulations hun

Charla said...

Beautiful! I'm glad everything went so smoothly!

Unknown said...

Congrats..she is adorable and perfect.

Lisa said...

Oh, congrats! I loved reading all of this! It brought happy tears to my eyes. Audrey is beautiful, and your family looks great. I could blubber on, but I'll stop. ;)

When my youngest DD was born (baby #4), my youngest DS (child #3) was only 2 years old. He was not happy about her arrival for the first few days ("Mama, hold ME!"), but he soon became her biggest fan. And he still is.

Wishing you all the best as everyone adjusts to Audrey's arrival. Enjoy!

AmyM said...

I sure do miss being on your CT. Good luck in all your new adventures. Congratulations on the new baby, your family is just beautiful!