Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Coffee Debacle......

Remember the scene in A Christmas Story, where Ralph's mother hated, I mean really just abhorred his father's leg lamp? And one night as they are going out and piling into the car, the lamp mysteriously breaks. Mom claims it was an accident (with a smirk on her face) while dad wails?

I'm pretty sure that has played out in real life here in our house....

When we bought our house in October, I wanted all new counter top appliances in stainless steel to match the new stainless appliances. What we had was old white counter top appliances. So, I went to Target and picked out a few. I even matched brands.

Now... we love our coffee. We always enjoy a good cup of it for breakfast, and very often on Sunday afternoons Nate is whipping together lattes or expressos. Our old Mr. Coffee coffee maker did a GREAT job with coffee. It really was outstanding in taste. So of course the new stainless steel coffee maker was a Mr. Coffee as well.

It just did not create coffee up to par as usual. There was a considerable taste difference, and Nate took every chance he could to grimace and complain about it.

So imagine to my surprise yesterday morning when Nate is about to leave for work, and he comes and sits on the edge of the bed to wake me.

"Andrea.... I broke the coffee maker."

"mghdgakls (more indistinct morning muffles)... what?"

"I broke the coffee maker. It was an accident. Would you like me to get you a Starbuck's for breakfast?"

HA!

Later that night I got the full story (or what Nate swears is the full story). He was filling his travel mug, and as he turned, he bumped the carafe into the side of the sink, thus putting a HUGE crack in the glass.

Hmmm......

Now this morning I had coffee from his French Press, and it was "OK." Now Nate is all starry eyed over a Starbuck's Coffee Maker or a nice one from Crate and Barrel.

I still think he did it on purpose. ;)

LOL!

12 comments:

gabs-art said...

OMG I can't live without my coffee maker!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious and I BET he did do it on purpose. MEN!

Anonymous said...

LOL too funny! At least he went and got you some so you weren't coffe-less all day! :-)

Amanda said...

LOL! That sounds like something I would do. Wait- I did do that to the toaster!

One Crazy Chick! said...

Problem solved. They make replacement decanters and they even sell them at Target!

He's not going to get out of it that easily. Haha. The replacement part is no more than 19.99 and often much less than that.

Good Luck!

The Mom Jen said...

I think he should have to bring you Starbucks everyday for say a week...then you can have him buy a replacement decanter!

Anonymous said...

Sounds fishy to me! We have a Tassimo, which makes coffee, tea and other specialty drinks one cup at a time. And now Starbucks has pods for it! Just a thought...

JennStar said...

LOL!!! Sounds lke something my hubby would do. "Why, yes dear, you may get me a Starbucks for breakfast- and you can do so each morning until you replace it!" hehehe

Michelle said...

I work at Starbucks for the free coffee. We do presses at home. I plan to buy a nice machine before I quit (whenever that is) with my employee discount. If I can hold out until I am 55 (17 years) I can get a free pound of coffee a week for life.

Kelly said...

lol Sounds like something my hubby would do to with one of his toys.

DawnMarch said...

I have a Cuisinart that grinds it's own beans and the whole thing (and you can set the whole thing the night before). It's awesome. We've had some "accidents" like that around here too!

Heather said...

That is a VERY amusing story there Nate....haha. I just started drinking coffee for the first time ever over the winter. I can only drink Dunkin Donut grounds. I've tried so many other stupid brands and I have to have DD. We all have our thing I suppose! LOL